Workers injured in school explosion, while neighbour’s cooking causes false alarm

A GAS explosion injured two workers at Georges Hall Public School early this morning, while a neighbour’s cooking is believed to have set off smoke alarms at Canterbury South Public last night.

The workmen were working on a classroom heating system about 7.30am when the explosion occurred. They suffered burns to their faces and hands and were treated by paramedics. The classroom was also damaged.
Police and Safe Work NSW will be investigating.
The night before firefighters were called to Canterbury South Public about 10.15pm after reports of a fire at the school.
However, after an investigation on scene, it was determined that smoke from neighbours cooking food had activated alarms and fire pumps.
While there was no fire at the school but crews remained on scene to assist Department of Education staff reset the alarm system.