Detective Chief Inspector Darren Sly, Bankstown Crime Manager said it was an appalling crime and the motive is still unknown.
He said the woman has a severed spine and may never walk again.
Police are appealing for the man, or anyone who knows his whereabouts or has information to come forward.
“Police there are members of the community who know who this man is,” he said.
“We’d like them, or the man, to come forward.”
Just before 1pm on Thursday, January 12, a 37-year-old woman arrived at the emergency department of Bankstown Hospital suffering a gunshot wound to her torso.
The woman had been driven to the hospital by a man however, he left the area on foot prior to police arrival.
The vehicle, a white Mercedes Benz sedan, was left outside the emergency department.
Following inquiries, detectives attended a home on Simmat Avenue at Condell Park, where it’s alleged the shooting took place.
A crime scene was established at the home, and, during a forensic examination, detectives located a number of bullet holes and casings.
Strike Force Chelston was formed to investigate the shooting, with local detectives being assisted by the State Crime Command’s Robbery & Serious Crime Squad.
Police are appealing for assistance to locate the man who took the injured woman to hospital.
He is described as being of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall, with a medium build, and a dark beard. At the time he was wearing a black hoodie, black shorts over full-length black training tights.
The woman remains in hospital with significant injuries, including a suspected severed spine, as well as damage to her internal organs.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.
Shooting victim may never walk again
DETECTIVES have renewed an appeal for assistance as they continue to investigate a shooting that left a woman seriously injured in Condell Park last month.