Rubbish streets – Funds to tackle rising waste woe

A WHOPPING 45 percent of waste disposed in public places, was thrown on to roadsides, car parks, recreational parks and shopping strips, leaving Cumberland Council with a hefty clean-up bill.

However, a joint effort with six other Western Sydney councils will see the coordination of a new ambitious plan to reduce litter across Western Sydney.
CUMBERLAND will come together with six other councils to tackle the growing waste problem.
The peak body representing the councils, the Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC) has been awarded $450,000, which will be used in a coordinated approach to reduce litter.
Under the new Western Sydney Regional Litter Prevention Plan, WSROC will work in partnership with the NSW Environment Protection Authority and the seven councils to develop coordinated litter prevention messaging; identify standardised litter management approaches; increase the community’s personal responsibility to prevent litter; work with other landowners and retailers to implement measure to prevent littering; and support councils with resources, knowledge, monitoring and evaluation, among other tasks.
WSROC President Councillor Barry Calvert said that the most littered locations were roadsides, carparks, recreational parks, shopping strips and train stations.
“However, our creeks, rivers and other waterways are also seriously impacted by littering,” he said.
“Along with cigarette butts, food packaging, and takeaway containers, including coffee cups, are the most littered items in Western Sydney.
“Only 55 percent of waste disposed in public places was correctly disposed, leaving councils to clean up the whopping 45 percent of rubbish littered in our region.”
He said that litter was much “more than just an eyesore”, litter degraded the environment, endangered wildlife and contaminated soil and water with chemicals, with the financial costs borne by communities.
“This can affect the community’s use of an amenity and can diminish their sense of pride of place,” he said.
“Western Sydney residents are proud of our environment and we want to keep our region clean.”