Operation Merret, an unorthodox and proactive approach to road policing, is aimed at educating and empowering the public to make the right decisions on the state’s roads and will run until Saturday 26 October 2019.
During the three-month operation, more police will be out on the roads, not only targeting motorists for dangerous behaviours, but educating drivers on safe behaviour and encouraging those who are doing the right thing through positive reinforcement.
Last year’s Operation Merret saw more than 30,000 infringements issued across the state for a range of offences, including speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, and using a mobile phone while driving.
For the fatal crashes that have occurred this year, the majority of those killed in fatal crashes were drivers (48.9 per cent), passengers (16.8 per cent), and pedestrians (15.3 per cent).
Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy, said there had been too many lives lost in preventable tragedies this year on our roads.
“Every police officer in the state has been tasked with speaking to drivers, riders, passengers and pedestrians about their responsibilities and safe choices on and around our roads,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.
“Motorists, passengers and pedestrians need to be accountable for the decisions they make that impact other road users.
“To prevent further serious injury or death on our roads, I implore every driver to take responsibility and ensure safety is their primary focus.
“Please slow down, wear your seatbelt, avoid handling mobile telephones, make certain you are adequately rested before driving, and take regular breaks to avoid fatigue.”
Anyone with information about illegal and dangerous driving behaviour is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.