Man hospitalised after e-bike fire

A MAN suffering from smoke inhalation has been admitted to hospital after an e-bike fire in a unit block at Revesby, early yesterday morning.

The blaze broke out in a garage beneath a two-level block of apartments in Doyle Road, around 1.15am.
When Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews arrived they found a man, believed to be 70-years-old, suffering the effects of smoke inhalation after trying to extinguish the flames himself.
Firefighters contained the fire and doused the flames.
The incident has prompted FRNSW to remind households about the dangers of Lithium-ion batteries, used to power e-bikes and other devices in the home.
FRNSW urges residents to:
Never sleep or leave home with your Lithium-battery-powered devices charging;
Don’t leave them constantly on charge;
If Lithium batteries are damaged or compromised, dispose of them properly;
Don’t throw them out in the rubbish, they can start garbage truck or rubbish tip fires when compacted;
Contact your local, approved recycling centre for disposal advice;
Don’t leave devices charging on beds, sofas or around highly flammable materials;
Try to charge devices outside if possible;
Always buy reputable Lithium-battery brands and never ‘mix and match’ components;
Beware of cheap, substandard Lithium battery-powered devices;
Avoid dropping, crushing or piercing battery cells;
Store batteries and devices in a cool, dry area, away from combustible materials;
Install active smoke alarms in your home/garage;
Ensure you have a home evacuation plan in the event of fire; and
Don’t store or charge Lithium-Ion-powered devices near exit points in your home.