News

Get cash to aid more

Charity groups can access share of $200,000

NON-PROFIT groups and organisations providing much-needed Covid support for the community can apply for a share of $200,000 in funding – one of several measures introduced by Canterbury Bankstown Council to help the community through the prolonged lockdown.
Canterbury Bankstown Mayor Khal Asfour says it is through those grassroots organisations “we identify and reach those in real hardship” and he is proud to be able to provide up to $200,000 in financial assistance.
“From way back in March last year when I introduced my 18-point plan until today, I am proud to say we have provided crucial support to our vulnerable ratepayers, businesses, non-for-profit organisations and the many sporting associations,” Mayor Asfour said.
“This crisis has taken its toll in many ways, and if we can lighten the load, no matter how small, then we have made somebody’s life just that little better.”
From September 1, eligible non-profit organisation can apply for grants of $500-$10,000 to assist in:
• Providing crisis and responsive emergency relief services to people currently experiencing hardship and at risk of becoming entrenched in disadvantage due to the crisis;
• Assist those that are most at risk of serious infection such as the immune compromised, older people, those with diagnosed chronic medical conditions, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
• Support families struggling with wellbeing and educating in disadvantaged home environments; and
• Enabling community organisations to continue to deliver their services via alternative delivery models.
The council has also reactivated rate relief up to March 2022 for residential and business ratepayers, who receive support under the Commonwealth Covid-19 Disaster Payment, NSW Covid-19 Micro-Business Grant or the NSW JobSaver Payment.
For more information on Covid support and financial assistance, visit cb.city/covid.