Family survives gas ‘poisoning’

A WOMAN and four children from Georges Hall had a lucky escape after they suffered suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday morning.

Emergency services were called to the home shortly before 8am and found the family of five suffering the effects of the toxic gas emitted from a generator being used following a power outage.
Firefighters from Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and Ambulance NSW paramedics took the family outside into the fresh air before administering oxygen.
They were then taken to hospital where they are in a stable condition.
FRNSW acting superintendent Steve Brown warned that equipment that uses carbon-based fuel produces the potentially deadly carbon monoxide gas.
“We call it the silent killer because you can’t see it or smell it,” he said.
“We want to remind everyone not to use any sort of carbon fuel generators or pumps indoors.
“You should never operate generators, outdoor heaters or pumps inside your home – if it is outside equipment, keep it outside.
“If you do use any sort of heater inside your home, make sure you operate it according to the manufacturers instructions and in a well-ventilated area.”