Project Servator sees the deployment of patrols wearing a special patch on their sleeve, who can be supported by specialist units.
As part of the tactics, officers will engage more with the public and businesses while on patrol to raise awareness and encourage members of the community to be their extra eyes and ears.
Investigations and Counter Terrorism Deputy Commissioner Dave Hudson said it added to existing policing methods.
“We have the benefit of learning from previous Project Servator operations conducted in the UK, which have resulted in hundreds of pieces of evidence being gathered in recent years, as well as arrests for various offences including firearms, drugs and theft,” he said.
“It’s important to note that this tactic is not targeting a specific type of crime, nor is it in response to a particular threat or concern.
“It is a way of detecting, deterring and disrupting those who may be planning to commit a crime, as well as making the public feel safe.”
Metropolitan Field Operations Deputy Commissioner Jeff Loy says the patrols are intended to become business as usual in the community.
“The community can expect to see unpredictable, high-visibility police deployments at various locations, initially in Sydney but potentially elsewhere as well,” he said.
Cabbie assault arrest
A 22-YEAR-OLD man has been charged in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a woman earlier this year.
A woman was put in a taxi by friends outside a hotel in Elizabeth Street at 11.30pm on April 25.
Police allege that the driver then took her to another location before moving her to a Mitsubishi Lancer and sexually assaulting her in a car park.
He then drove the woman to her Dulwich Hill residence.
The incident was reported to police and on Wednesday, a 22-year-old man was arrested at Granville Police Station.
Officers also then seized a car in Bennelong Street for forensic examination.
Three dead in crashes
POLICE have urged road users to take more care following the death of three people, in three separate incidents on Friday ahead of the school holidays.
A 24-year Auburn man is facing a number of serious driving offences including negligent driving cause death and negligent driving cause grievous bodily harm following a serious multi-vehicle crash in Ermington.
The man’s 25-year-old female passenger died in the three-vehicle collision and in separate incidents a pedestrian, aged in his 50s, was hit and killed by a car in Canley Vale and a motorcyclist, aged 57, died when his bike collided with a utility in Forster.