Man’s arrest follows modern forensics identifying DNA link to crime
Just after 12.30am on Tuesday, June 20, 1995, an injured woman, then aged 22, spoke with officers at Bankstown Police Station and reported that she had been detained and sexually assaulted by a man.
The woman was taken to hospital for treatment and underwent a SAIK (Sexual Assault Investigation Kit). Despite exhaustive inquiries and forensic examinations at the time, no charges were laid.
In March 2021, detectives from the State Crime Command’s Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad established Strike Force Tarana to reinvestigate the incident after a DNA link was identified by NSW Health Pathology’s Forensic and Analytical Science Service.
The 48-year-old man was arrested last Tuesday and charged with detain for advantage without causing injury to victim, sexual intercourse without consent, and aggravated sexual assault – inflict actual bodily harm on victim.
Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad Commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Adam Powderly, said the arrest was the result of tenacious investigative work.
“Victims of sexual assault should know that from the moment they make a report, police will pursue every lead – no matter how long it takes,” Supt Powderly said.
“It also highlights the importance of reporting to police regardless of whether a crime will be pursued at court – if there’s forensic evidence available, it can be followed up at any time.”
The Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad comprises detectives who are specially trained to investigate matters against children and adults, including sexual assault, serious physical abuse, and extreme cases of neglect.