News

Appeal for help in murder link probe

POLICE investigating the shooting murders of two men at Panania and Condell Park last year, are appealing for help to find those involved in the “calculated, deliberate and brazen attacks”.

Just before midnight on Saturday, August 29, Fares Abounader, 39, was shot and killed on Wall Avenue at Panania, and in a separate attack, Mejid Hamzy suffered multiple fatal gunshots wounds on Monday, October 19, 2020, metres from his Condell Park home.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Criminal Groups Squad are investigating both murders under Strike Force Manifold and Strike Force Courier and have released further dashcam and CCTV vision depicting vehicles and persons of interest and are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Dashcam vision from Panania depicts a white Subaru parked outside the Wall Avenue home, prior to the shooting murder of Fares Abounader, and again turning onto Horsley Road, while dashcam vision from Henry Lawson Drive – near Webster Street and Kelso Park – at East Hills, captures two men in dark-coloured clothing in the hours before the shooting murder of Mejid Hamzy.
CCTV vision then captures two men running through Colechin Reserve at Yagoona just after the murder.
As one of the men flees, his hood falls from his head revealing his face and distinctive blond hair. The two men then leave the area in two luxury cars.
Criminal Groups Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Grant Taylor, says detectives from across the two investigations are examining several lines of inquiry that indicate the incidents may be linked.
“As part of ongoing inquiries, police conducted an extensive canvass of each crime scene and the surrounding streets, where investigators obtained significant dashcam and CCTV vision,” Det Supt Taylor said.