Zeinab Khattab and Ly Kheang Tann enjoy a book with their children Aisha and Deen.
IT'S game on for students these upcoming school holidays if they take part in the City of Canterbury Bankstown's Summer Reading Club.
The theme for this year's 10-week program, which kicked off at Council's nine library and knowledge centres last month, is Game On. It includes activities, writing, drawing and guessing challenges, as well as prizes to be won.
Children of all ages can get involved, with the Club broken into three groups:
• Read to Me! Designed for parents to share stories with children aged 0-4 years;
• Primary, for students aged 5-11 years; and
• Youth, for students aged 12-18 years.
Bankstown resident Zeinab Khattab, whose five-year-old daughter, Aisha, and two-year-old son, Deen, are taking part, said her children really enjoyed keeping track of their reading last year.
"Reading usually dwindles off during the summer holidays, so the Summer Reading Club is the perfect motivator for the kids – and for me," she said.
"For every five books read, the kids get stickers, pencils and other trinkets to keep them going. With the help of my husband and I, Aisha conquered 35 books while Deen tackled another 25."
Some of the school holiday activities include:
• Guitar lessons (11-15 years) at Bankstown Arts Centre, every Tuesday from 6-7pm;
• Bubble Show (5-12 years) at Earlwood Library and Knowledge Centre on Tuesday, January 9, at 10.30am;
• Pottery and sculpture classes (6-10 years) at Bankstown Arts Centre, every Wednesday from 4-5.30pm;
• Word puzzle games (5-12 years) at Riverwood Library and Knowledge Centre on Tuesday, January 12, at 11am;
• Hide and seek drop-in challenge (12-18 years) at the Belmore Youth Resource Centre on Tuesday, January 16, from noon-4pm;
• Excursion to Wet n Wild (12-18 years) with the Belmore Youth Resource Centre on Friday, January 19, from 10am-4pm; and
• The Magical Parks app, where children can explore a fantasy world in Bankstown City Gardens and Gough Whitlam Park using their smart device, available at geoar.tech.
To register for the Summer Reading Club, go to cb.city/summerreadingclub or to find out what else is on near you, go to cb.city/schoolholidays.