A DANGEROUS toy has been ordered off the shelves in Merrylands during a pre-Christmas safety blitz by NSW Fair Trading inspectors (pictured).
Minister for Fair Trading, Matt Kean, said the Light Up Yo Yo Ball (below) which was found in Merrylands was one of 41 toys across the state which had failed safety testing because it included small parts which could choke a young child.
He said year's pre-Christmas blitz saw inspectors visit 903 businesses across NSW and inspect 10,727 individual products, with a focus on toys aimed at small children, aquatic toys and projectiles.
Mr Kean said it was frighteningly easy for a child to break off a small part and choke in minutes.
"During their testing, Fair Trading inspectors use a tube the same size as a small child's oesophagus to see if there is a choking risk," he said.
"All the toys identified in the blitz have been removed from sale."
Under Australian Consumer Law, individuals caught selling dangerous toys face a maximum fine of $220,000, while companies can face fines of up to $1.1 million.