Owner in shock after ‘fierce fire’

Mohammad Rahimi waits for firefighters to give the all clear so after fire destroyed his restaurant business in Auburn.

Story appeared in: Review | July 10th, 2017

FIRE has gutted the M Brothers restaurant in the heart of the Auburn town centre as well as damaging neighbouring buildings.
The fire broke out just before 7am on Friday with more than eight Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews called to the scene.
Duty commander acting inspector John Moore said their efforts were initially hampered by difficulties cutting off power to the site.
He said the first crews on scene were confronted with a "rapidly intensifying fire", with one person self-evacuating from upstairs at a neighbouring property before firefighters arrived.
"It was a very fierce fire," he said.
"Firefighters did a fantastic job to contain it."
There were no reports of injuries and fire fighters were able to bring the blaze under control within an hour although it took another hour and a half to fully extinguish it.
Restaurant owner Mohammad Rahimi said he got the call about the fire while on his way to drop a friend at the airport.
"I got a call from one of the workers who said there's a fire on the oil, on the fryer," he said.
Mr Rahimi said they had taken over the business in April and were working on renovations including painting as well as purchasing three new machines which had arrived the day before the fire and had all been destroyed.
"I was shocked. I didn't actually expect it to be this bad," he said.
"I am just glad no-one was hurt. That's the only thing that I am happy about. It's lucky that no-one was hurt, none of the customers, none of the workers."

comments powered by Disqus
Publication: Review | Section: News | Author: Kim Palmer | Story ID: 129267 | Viewcount: 2207