Lucky escape from blast


A deliberately lit fire has caused serious damage to a home in Phyllis Crescent at Guildford, however the occupants have refused to cooperate with the police investigation.

Story appeared in: Review | April 13th, 2017



THE occupants of a Guildford home had a lucky escape after a man splashed petrol on the outside of their home and lit it in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Emergency services were called to the Phyllis Crescent home just before 1am and four adults and a 14-year-old teenager who were inside at the time, got out without injury.
However the force of the blast burnt the exterior of the home, causing significant heat damage and also smashing a lounge room window resulting in minor internal smoke damage.
Officers from Holroyd Local Area Command are investigating the incident, and crime manager detective chief inspector Adam Phillips says they do believe it was a targeted attack and are examining CCTV footage of the incident.
"A male offender can be seen walking to the house with jerry can of petrol and then igniting it," he said.
He confirmed that shots were also fired into the home during a drive-by shooting in November 2014.
"On both occasions, today and then, the occupants have refused to assist with the police investigation."
Police said a man aged in his 20s and last seen wearing a hooded jumper with a white motif/symbol on the pocket area, dark pants and dark coloured shoes, may be able to assist their inquiries.
Anyone with any information about the incident can contact Merrylands Police Station on 9897 4899 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

CTP fraud charges
A MAN working out of a wedding planning business is the first person to be charged by Strike Force Ravens detectives investigating Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance fraud.
Investigators searched a home and office at Liverpool on Wednesday, April 12, allegedly seizing a firearm, more than $100,000 cash, suspected proceeds of crime; gold bullion worth $30,000, electronic storage devices and documentation.
The 31-year-old was arrested at another office in Liverpool before being charged with 40 fraud-related offences.
Offices at Auburn and Bankstown were also searched earlier this month as part of the ongoing investigation.

Truck blitz a worry
TRUCKS using major roads around Rosehill were targeted by officers from the Joint traffic Taskforce last Tuesday as part of an ongoing operation aimed at taking dangerous vehicles off the road.
During Operation Catapult 3, a total of 37 heavy vehicles were inspected with officers issuing 17 defect notices and 22 infringement notices.
Assistant commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said the number of trucks found to be unroadworthy was "not good enough".
"The Joint Traffic Taskforce will continue to target the heavy vehicle industry until we can make sure that owners, operators and drivers are doing the right thing," he said.



comments powered by Disqus
Publication: Review | Section: News | Author: Mark Kirkland | Story ID: 126947 | Viewcount: 6245

Site